From Twice the Rice…Um, I like this meme so much, I think I’ll do it AGAIN!
1. One book that changed your life:
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Boy that woman is hardcore. I had no idea that one could think of life in that hardheaded, coldly objective way. But it changed me to know that there was such a way to think about things. I aspired to think that way for a short time, and I failed. The failure of achieving that frame of thought changed me.
2. One book you have read more than once:
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I think it deserves to be read more than once.
3. One book you would want on a desert island:
Um. The Worst Case Scenario Handbook?
4. One book that made you laugh:
Burden of Ashes by Justin Chin. It’s not funny like Sedaris, but he is so honest and self-deprecating it leads to some very comical moments.
5. One book that made you cry:
Mama Day by Gloria Naylor.
6. One book you wish had been written:
My novel already!
7. One book you wish had never been written:
The obvious answer is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I’ll also add Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote. I really do like that story and I do love Audrey Hepburn in the movie, but I really could have done without the Mr. Yunioshi character. Really, what did the racist portrayal of Japanese add to the narrative?
8. One book you are currently reading:
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami.
9. One book you have been meaning to read:
a BIG list. Talk Talk by TC Boyle, Teach us to Overcome Our Madness by Kenzaburo Oe, Taft by Ann Patchett…
10. Five people tagged:
It’s a free for all! (Because ahem, are there even 5 of you out there reading this newish blog?) 🙂