A note from moi: I am not a fan of the phrase “guilty pleasures”–I don’t really feel guilty for having these acts of comfort and delight. But I did list things that I do that I find secret joy out of doing, things that are sort of secret because they’re not things I do in groups or in public.
SIX GUILTY PLEASURES NO ONE WOULD SUSPECT ME OF HAVING
- Hugh Grant movies (ie., Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually, About a Boy, Bridget Jones, Notting Hill…). I love them. I will watch them over and over. I don’t have a crush on HIM, but I just like his characters.
- Chewing on my fingers. I do. It’s bad.
- Sometimes, I just sit on the couch and stare at the wall for a looooong time. It’s the simple luxury of time. I don’t know how long I’ll have this luxury, but I do indulge it.
- I loooove People magazine, and celebrity gossip websites. It’s awful. It’s a problem. Kind of.
- I like my job. It’s in high tech, it has nothing to do with writing, but I still like it a lot. It takes time away from my writing–but what to do? I’m going to keep working and writing for as long as I can get away with it.
- I really like having had cosmetic surgery done on my eyes. It really did change the way I saw myself, and made me feel oh-so-much better.
SIX GUILTY PLEASURES I WISH I HAD THE COURAGE TO INDULGE
- Totally downgrade the comforts of my life and take total time off just to write with great intensity, for a year or two.
- Walk around without makeup everyday.
- Move to another country, preferably somewhere cool and foggy. (We have a place in mind).
- Raise chickens. It’s a bizarre urge. And it doesn’t take courage so much as willpower to do it, I think.
- Get liposuction (seriously). I hate my belly fat. But I don’t feel like risking my life to get rid of it (I work out, I do sit-ups and crunches, and it’s not awful and I’m in good health, but it’s still THERE). But then I keep thinking about how much better I felt about myself after having my eyes done…OMG, my guilty pleasure is cosmetic surgery!
- I can’t think of any more. I’m pretty self indulgent as it is.
SIX PLEASURES I ONCE CONSIDERED GUILTY BUT HAVE EITHER ABANDONED OR MADE PEACE WITH
- I like television. I watch it all the time. So there.
- I love food. I indulge. I stop when I’m full. But I eat wonderful, wonderful food. So there.
- I spend lots of money and time on skincare products. So there.
- Until my mid-twenties, I had one pair of shoes (usually sneakers, since they were so all purpose). It never occurred to me to have several pairs, or even ones just to match particular outfits, or even ones to just stare at it in awe. But that all changed when my mother-in-law started showering me with shoe gifts. I felt sooo guilty having them all…but I grew to love all the shoes…and they’ve changed the way I dress and feel, outwardly. Who knew?
- Writing. I thought it would be fanciful, that it was not pragmatic, that I should quelch this drive. But ha.