What I’m doing when I’m not writing:
- I am watching the Shiba Inu Puppy Cam–positively addictive. It’s a live camera feed of shiba inu puppies! I’ve been watching them since they were 3 weeks old, when they would glom onto their mother to feed (and when she’d get sick of them, they’d still be hanging off her teats). They’re now almost 2 months old. Eating solid food, squabbling with each other, attacking the pee pads. Still very cute and forming their individual personalities. And this week they made it onto New York Magazine’s approval matrix! They scored a brilliant.
- I am tending to one of my wiener dogs. She tweaked her neck/back and isn’t doing so well. On crate rest. Occasionally whimpering, and occasionally thumping her tail against the crate.
- Working the desk job. It’s a good job.
- Going to the David Sedaris reading. (“Knock knock….Who’s there….I eat mop….)
- Watching television. A part of me wishes there was a writers’ strike again. Except for the fact that that would probably delay the season premiere of “Lost” and I could NOT bear that!
- Mulling over Ward Six’s question about whether writers need interesting lives or interesting minds in order to write. I think an Interesting Mind is critical path–without that, no experience can translate into “interesting.”
- Accidentally buying maternity shirts at Walmart (seriously! There are some cute finds at Walmart! Mix and match the Marc Jacobs with the Walmart! 😛 I thought they were really cute blouses until I got home and was like, “hrm…they’re big. Hrm….the brandname is “Announcements…” hrmmm… OH. NO….). In the midst of baby announcements left and right (my friends are expecting, and having, babies left and right). Congratulations! *gulp* Congratulations!!!! …*gulp* Weirdness galore.
- Watching brilliant autumn sunsets.
- Going to the farmers’ market and reveling in the produce.
- Reading. I just read J.M. Coetzee’s Disgrace, which is a masterpiece. And am now reading Tayari Jones’ The Untelling
- Traveling. I love traveling. To the detriment of my writing. Well, unless one thinks writers need interesting lives in order to write (refer to Ward Six’s question above).
What I’m not doing when I’m not writing:
- I’m not exercising. I think this also is to the detriment of not only my health but my writing.
- I’m not cooking. I haven’t cooked as much as I used to, even though I have been eating in a lot more often. Hrm. Does that make sense? I guess my meals aren’t as elaborate.
- I’m not taking those fertility meds anymore. They made me feel utterly crazy, and extenuating circumstances…I just have tabled the whole thing for awhile.
- I’m not tending to my garden. My tomato plants look gnarly.
- I’m not even taking care of my nails. Egads. They need some polish. Chanel blue satin!
- Writing. I’m not writing nearly enough, even though I’ve got the structure finally down and I can SEE the end of the novel!